Toronto to host Canada’s premier workplace safety event: OHS Honours gala and conference runs Thursday
Health & Safety Awards OHS Honours toronto
It has arrived: The biggest night in workplace safety takes place this week with a half-day conference and the unveiling of the winners of the 2023 OHS Honours awards.
Professionals from across the country will be gathering at Palais Royale in Toronto this Thursday, Sept. 21 for a day of learning and an evening of celebration and networking.
“Safety isn’t just about ticking boxes; it’s about the real-life experiences, the implemented practices, and the lessons we gather along the way,” said Todd Humber, senior editor for OHS Canada. “At OHS Honours, we aren’t just celebrating winners. We’re spotlighting and sharing the narratives that can inspire organizations to uphold the highest standards of safety.”
Paul Burton, senior publisher for OHS Canada, said there are so many individuals and organizations that deserve to be celebrated and recognized for their contributions.
“We are shining the spotlight on everything they do,” he said.
Limited tickets are still available for individuals and groups. Professionals can attend for the conference only; the cocktail/dinner/awards gala only; or a combination ticket that gets them access to the entire day. For more information, visit www.OHSHonours.com.
The event will commence with a half-day conference packed with insightful sessions that delve deep into the nuances of occupational health and safety.
Session 1: Egg-ceptional Safety: Lessons from the OHS This session will be led by the safety experts from Burnbrae Farms, a brand known for its unwavering commitment to worker welfare. Sam Altobello, Basem Asihk, Li Song Wang, and Andy Woods will provide an in-depth look into the stringent safety protocols at Burnbrae’s cutting-edge egg sorting facility and the broader measures adopted throughout their operations.
Session 2: Walking the Talk: What it Really Means to Create a Psychologically Safe Workplace Moderated by Jody Young of Workplace Safety & Prevention Services, this panel discussion features notable personalities like Sheldon Kennedy, a co-founder of Respect Group and former NHL player, and Dr. Ryan Todd from Headversity. The focus? A deep dive into cultivating psychologically safe environments in the workplace.
Session 3: Eat Right, Stay Active: The Pillars of Overall Health Health is holistic. Andrea Falcone, a renowned dietitian and fitness professional, will illuminate the myriad benefits of maintaining a balanced diet and active lifestyle and how it intertwines with workplace productivity and safety.
Cocktail reception, gala dinner and awards ceremony
Since 2021, OHS Canada Honours has celebrated individual professionals who have pushed boundaries and set new standards. This year’s individual awards are:
- OHS Professional of the Year: Honouring the standout individual who embodies the spirit and practice of occupational health and safety.
- Community Leader Award: Recognizing those who’ve made a significant impact in their communities through their dedication to safety.
- OHS Rising Star Award: Spotlighting the professionals showing immense potential in the early stages of their OHS careers.
- OHS Lawyer of the Year: Awarded to the legal expert who has notably contributed to the sphere of OHS.
- Hall of Fame: A prestigious title, with three deserving inductees set to be announced for 2023. Their enduring legacy in the field of OHS will be celebrated.
Attributes like strong work ethics, leadership by example, and an unwavering commitment to health and safety are at the forefront of these recognitions.
OHS Canada Honours also shines a light on teams that have showcased excellence across various facets of workplace safety:
- OHS Culture Award: Acknowledging organizations that have successfully cultivated a culture prioritizing safety.
- Best Safety Communications Program: Recognizing teams that have effectively communicated safety protocols and practices.
- Best Use of Safety Technology: Lauding organizations leveraging technology to enhance workplace safety.
- OHS Team of the Year: An accolade for the team that exemplifies teamwork, effectiveness, and innovation in OHS.
- Psychologically Safe Workplace Award: For organizations ensuring the mental well-being of their employees.
- Best Ergonomics Program: Celebrating teams that prioritize the comfort and health of their workers through ergonomically sound practices.
Top 25 Under 40
We will also be honouring the best young safety professionals as we unveil the top 25 OHS professionals under the age of 40.
With OHS Honours, OHS Canada reaffirms its commitment to fostering a culture of safety across all Canadian workplaces, ensuring every worker returns home safely at the end of the day.
A big thanks to our Gold Sponsor Avetta and our Silver Sponsors Mechanix Wear, Alcumus SafeContractor, Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS), and Phoenix for supporting this event and making it possible.
For more information and to secure your spot, visit www.OHSHonours.com. For sponsorship information, contact Silvana Maiolo, brand sales manager for OHS Canada, at 416-722-8403 or email@example.com.