Canadian bobsled star Kaillie Humphries alleges harassment
By The Canadian Press
CALGARY – Olympic bobsledder Kaillie Humphries says she has filed a harassment complaint with Canadian officials, and that her case is why she is not competing in World Cup races this season.
Humphries told CBC for a story published Saturday that she “can no longer be silenced because of other people’s actions,” though she stopped short of specifying what type of harassment she is alleging took place.
She is a three-time Olympic medallist and two-time Olympic champion. Humphries announced in October that she was not competing this season, though never detailed why until now.
“I found myself in a position where my workplace environment was impaired and I couldn’t compete,” Humphries told CBC.
Bobsleigh Canada spokesman Chris Dornan told The Associated Press that the federation “has been made aware” of Humphries’ allegations, and that triggers an probe by an independent investigator.
“We take any allegations of this nature very seriously,” Dornan said. “A safe training and competitive environment for everyone involved in our sport is Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton’s No. 1 priority. This is a highly confidential case. Out of respect to all parties involved, and the process, we will not be commenting further on this matter until the investigation is complete.”
Humphries has been one of the most dominant women in bobsledding, with four World Cup overall titles in the past six seasons. She was the Olympic gold medallist in 2010 and 2014, and took third at last year’s Pyeongchang Games.
“My entire career is at stake, who I am personally,” Humphries told CBC. “I’m risking everything to be in this position. It’s not something I take lightly. So yeah, for me personally there’s a lot at stake.”
Print this page